The Methodist Clothes Bank will be open on Thursday 28th December, as part of the Dundee Drop In programme offering help to those in need over the festive period.
Due to a misunderstanding, the reporter assumed that the Rev Sue Jansen, not Sue Marshall-Jennings, was running this project. Rev Sue is Methodist chaplain in St Andrews, and supports the work of the Clothes Bank, as well as being a Methodist presence in St Andrews.
All We Can and the Methodist Church in Britain are calling for support for an urgent appeal for refugees displaced by the recent violence in Burma. Since late August, more than half a million people have fled from violence in Rakhine State to Bangladesh for safety.
All We Can has initially responded with essential food supplies for families, but much more help is needed.
On Wednesday the following decisions were taken:
- reappointments of Church Treasurer (D Easson), Council Secretary (M Goudie), Pastoral Secretary (J Easson), the Independent Examiner (“auditor”) (F Thomas) and the appointment of the in-coming Finance & Property Convener (K Pearson);
- in connection with the church development, opening of a property scheme in the Connexional property system, also appointment of Andrew Black Design as architect; an initial sum of £5k to be identified within the church accounts as a redevelopment fund;
- as there will be no Communion Offering in November (Service in Salem URC), the sum of £50 will be forwarded to the Earl Haig Fund with no need for a (subsequent) retiring offering. This is the amount of the Communion Offering in November 2016 allocated to Tayforth Veterans, but returned to us because of difficulties within the organisation. The Council agreed that, given the work of Tayforth Veterans and the Earl Haig Fund both aim to offer support to former Service personnel, this amount could be treated as the 2017 Communion Offering for the Earl Haig Fund. Please contact the Church Treasurer with any comments or queries, and / or any further donations.
- Public Worship will take place in Marketgait on Christmas Day at 10.30am.
- Next meeting – Wednesday 7th February 2018, at 7pm.
Updates were received from the ClothesBank and the Link Club; discussion was held about Scottish Churches Housing Action, ‘MHA extra Christmas card’ (details to come), the return to be made to OSCR, process for decision-making by email, and Data Protection requirements.
Starter Packs are desperately in need of curtains or material. If anyone has spare curtains that they don’t need, these would be very much appreciated.