Following on from the last church council Nick has had conversations with St Paul’s Episcopal Church. One result of this is that we have all been invited to share in the service at St Paul’s on Sunday 26 May. Nick has been invited to preach. In addition to worshipping and sharing around the Lord’s table together, this is an opportunity to build our relationships with another church.
The service on Sunday 26th May will take place at St Pauls Cathedral at 10:30am and not at Marketgait.
If the timing presents an issue for anybody because of transport please speak with a steward. There are a number of steps to the front door of the church but once inside it is level (there is an electronic stair climber available – if it is to be used prior notice is helpful).
Each year, on the first Friday in March, Christian women invite everyone to join in the world-wide chain of ecumenical Services.
This year’s theme is “Come – Everything is Ready”, using material prepared by our sisters in Slovenia.
Please look online and in local press for details of services on Friday in your local community.
The Service in Broughty Ferry will take place at 7pm in St Stephen’s and West Church, DD5 1DW.
At the recent open gathering, discussions covered
- feedback from Advent & Christmas, including suggestion that this year the decoration of the tree form part of a more social gathering (post-Service lunch & Tree Decorating Event on Advent Sunday)
- worship & porch / window display during Lent to link with the worship liturgy theme of “Longer Tables, Lower Fences” (hospitality, removal of barriers) using material prepared by Methodist Women in Britain;
- further thoughts on ways to help widen participation in worship;
- decision to use only Gluten-free Bread in Communion .
- Next meeting – Wednesday 15th May, 1pm.
The Rev Nik Wooller is stationed in our Circuit on an 50:50 basis with the District since she is in receipt of Connexional funding for her role to build relationships alongside ‘churchless-Christians’. As part of this responsibility, she is visiting churches throughout the District to explain something of what her work involves – next Sunday is “her District visit to Dundee”.
The meeting of the worship consultation on 7th November decided
- An ‘Alternativity’ Advent Liturgy will be used during worship on Sundays from December 2nd to January 6th;
- the Tree will be erected on Friday 7th December and decorated on Saturday 8th December;
- arrangements for porch and window displays are being finalised;
- there will be no offering during worship on Christmas Day.
To mark the centenary of the end of World War I, an offering plate is available
for contributions in support of BLESMA (The Limbless Veterans) and Help for Heroes.
This open meeting in Marketgait at 1pm on Wednesday will include conversation and decisions about marking the Advent-Christmas season. Please give apologies, suggestions, suitable material and thoughts about our worship life to Sue C, its Convener.
A meeting of members on Thursday night agreed that we would continue to meet upstairs for worship.
The new Stewarding Team of Mary, Fiona, Sue and Sue, met together with Nick on Thursday evening and discussed many aspects of church life, including the proposal to worship downstairs with effect from the Harvest Service on 23rd September.
Whilst recognising that many people have concerns about this proposal, we do feel it is something that we should take forward, so want to give everyone the chance to talk about this openly and share their concerns.
We are therefore holding a meeting in the church on Thursday 13th September at 7.30 pm and invite everyone to come along. If anyone is unable to attend but has views that they wish to make known, please speak to any of the Stewards or to Nick. The move will also be discussed and reviewed at the Church Council meeting on 24th October.