Saturday 4th November, 10.30am to 4.30pm
Dundee Methodist Church
The Circuit Preachers are holding a training day to which they warmly invite all interested; it will consider and plan for the marking of Advent in and throughout the Circuit’s churches.
“This is open to Preachers, Church Stewards, members of Worship Consultation groups and anyone else interested. It is hoped that during the session, as well as exploring many aspects of Advent, a suitable Advent liturgy can be agreed for use throughout the circuit.”
At the meeting in Perth on September 13th, members
- shared “conversation on the work of God” by reflecting further on Synod discussions about connexionalism (what it means to be part of ‘wider Methodism’ and how far this is recognised and understood, especially in local congregations);
- appointed the Circuit Leadership Team to act as the Circuit Invitation Committee, if required;
- received the report of the Circuit Leadership Team, then shared news and updates on the work in local churches and communities;
- received reports from the Circuit Treasurer, Circuit Preachers, Circuit Mission in Britain and MHA Treasurers;
- noted the new Safeguarding training requirements to be undertaken throughout the Circuit in coming months;
- agreed the next meeting in Dundee on Wednesday 14th March at 7pm.
The Methodist Church has issued an appeal for those affected by the Caribbean Hurricanes. Donations to support humanitarian aid and relief work by the region’s United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) can be made
- online via Just Giving;
- by cheque to “The Methodist Church World Mission Fund”, (annotated Caribbean Hurricane Relief) posted to The Fund Raising Manager, Methodist Church House, 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR
- bank transfer to The World Mission Fund,
Account number 70951706
Sort code 40 0206
marked “Caribbean Hurricane Appeal”
Copies of the new Autumn catalogue are now available on the vestibule table. Please take one away, and return to Margaret with your order!
Image copyright STV
Rev Nick Baker met the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, on her visit to Dundee on 18th September 2017. He was able to tell her about the Methodist Clothes Bank.
Joint URC/Methodist worship on Sunday 1st October will take place at Salem URC, with Rev Nick Baker leading, including Holy Communion according to the Methodist tradition.
Directions and advice on parking
Salem United Reformed Church is on Salem Street. This leads off the section of Constitution Road that is north of the inner ring road, and is the nearest street to the ring road on the eastern side; it is just below the Mace Store. The street is very narrow and a dead end, and although taxis can use it, it is not recommended.
There is on-street parking nearby, but most spaces are taken up on a Sunday morning by the congregation of St Mary Magdalene, whose service starts before 11 am.
Car drivers are advised to park on the south side of the ring road either in the multi-storey car park, or on-street. There is a subway access under the ring road.
The church itself is up several steps in its grounds.
Offerings at joint services
Members of the congregations are asked to contribute as usual when worship is on their own premises, and to refrain (or give a “token amount”) when elsewhere. Methodists worshipping at Salem should keep their offering envelopes for a subsequent week (the URC do not use an envelope system). All “loose cash” given at the offering is to be allocated to the “host church”.
The Communion Service will follow Methodist practice, with the Rev Nick Baker presiding and distribution by URC Elders. Both a Common Cup and individual cups will be used and the Communion wine will be non-alcoholic, as is also customary in Salem URC.
There will be no Communion Offering; an offering plate will be available in Marketgait the following Sunday for donations to the Fund for World Mission.